Posted by: janedb | April 9, 2013

December 27th

Happy new year

Happy new year (Photo credit: Amodiovalerio Verde)

Thursday December 27th was clinic day. I had been feeling fine for the past few days but had a sore throat. As I had not felt ill I did not think about it or worry.

I went into my appointment thinking that at most I would be given antibiotics and sent home as I felt so well.  Once I mentioned my sore throat everything went wrong. My temperature was taken and unfortunately it was 38.  I was checked and my tonsils were up. The words I didn’t want to here were said ‘We are going to have to admit you’. I had no  neutrophiles they had dropped to 0.005, so I had nothing to fight the infection with.

I had to let my mum know. We had nothing with us as I was expecting to return home. My mum had to go home pack my case  and bring it back to me. My treatment was started after she had left the clinic. Poor mum had to drive to my house finish dinner for my boys and dad, pack my case, go to her house, pack her case, get back to the hospital.

I was taken to the room behind the nurses desk, and had the usual tests of blood pressure etc. I had a consultant put in a cannula as they could not wait for a doctor to be available. This is not normal procedure as it would normally be a junior doctor who would be given the task. I was given a dose of intravenous antibiotics. I then had to wait for a bed to be available. There were currently 14 patients requiring beds. The nurses were very nice and made me tea.

After 6.00 p.m. a very kind nurse took me up to the assessment unit. There were no beds available so I was allowed to sit in the retreat room. It was a very pleasant room fitted out by donations for a quiet space for patients. A nurse came and did my vital signs, as usual my blood pressure was low, temperature was still over 37.5 but my oxygen levels were good. I had had nothing to eat so was offered a sandwich and a drink which I accepted.

A doctor came to see me, she took blood for cultures and then wanted me put on a drip. Unfortunately I was then sick and felt very ill. The nurse was very kind and got me sick bowls and water to drink. I had gone cold and was shaking, this was due to my temperature so I was given IV paracetamol.

My mum made it back and was very worried by my decline in health, but the nurse said this was a reaction to the antibiotics. She stayed for a while but as I was going to be admitted and she wanted to get back for the boys I told her to go.

After 10.00 p.m. I was moved onto a bed in the assessment unit. I couldn’t settle as they were looking for a bed on a ward for me. I was moved onto Ward 39 at around midnight. I had a second dose of antibiotics before I went to sleep. Unfortunately I was sick again in the night and had the shakes again. Paracetamol was given four hours from the last dose due to my temperature.

I woke the briefly for breakfast and tea before sleeping again. I then woke to find mum at my bedside. She hadn’t woken me so I had no idea  how long she had been there. It was good to see her. My dad used to share the visiting when I was first diagnosed, but when I was having to use the commode I asked mum to visit only. I didn’t want dad to see me in that stay. This suited dad as he did not like seeing me in hospital, so he took over the ironing from mum and fetched my youngest from school. The boys only visited at weekends when I was reasonably well as I did not want to scare them.

Mum had to leave after half an hour of me waking. In the afternoon I was moved to ward 41 the hematology ward. Due to the risk of infection being higher with leukemia patients they wanted me under their care. There is more space between beds on Ward 41, windows are screwed shut due to our risk of chest infections and the neutropenic diet is followed. It was like arriving back home. Ward 39 staff were very nice but I knew Ward 41 staff very well. It was like being with family.

I was back in the same bay I had been in when I first was admitted just a different bed spot. Antibiotics were given intravenously for five days and then on Tuesday 2nd January I was released with oral antibiotics and an appointment for clinic on the 11th January.

New Year had been spent on the ward. My youngest had visited with my mum on New Years eve. It was strange to go to bed before midnight and not have watched the New Year fireworks on the television with my boys. On New Years Day both boys came in which was a treat. I knew it was difficult for my eldest as it took him back to his own illness.

I hoped for a brighter year for us all.



  1. I’m so sad for all the difficulties you, your boys, and your parents have faced. Keep posting. I am in suspense.

    • Thank you for your support, I hope by writing I may be able to help others

  2. What sort of plugin are you currently using that deals with junk comments?
    I just can’t control it on my web site. I get 100 junk comments everyday.

    • It says I have Akismet running which is stopping spam.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


Psych Circus

Enjoy, Learn, and Erase Stigma!

Liz Who Motivates

LIGHT UP the 🌎 with ❤ ! #lightuptheworldwithlove

Bagladys Guide to Elegant Living by Dina Dove

Discover Dina Dove's new book and be inspired and you learn to love the life you have.


Capturing Memories One Snap at a Time

Lemons and Spuds

Battling depression, memories of expat life, life after ...

The top 9 Diets

How to lose weight in 9 different ways

My Big Business Card

Establish Your Expertise with a Book

IT News & Technology Chat

Discovering Our World Through Technology


Self Development

Confident Horsemanship with Anne Gage

The Relationship Coach for Horsewomen (and their horses)

Totally Emily

Blogging for Beginners & Beyond!

Oh! My Heartsie Reviews

Blog resources, product reviews, events and tutorials

Our Life's Adventures

Homeschooling, Public school, and everything in between

Shoppin With Marilyn

Providing awesome customer service & quality products at great prices.

The Empowering Love Project

Empowering people to pursue personal growth and create love and tolerance in the world.

Erin E. M. Hatton

Dream. Imagine. Explore.

andrei plimbarici

Calatorind Descoperi


Shedding light in a very dark place - Orphan to Adult. Life, Relationships, Spirituality, and Conciousness of the World.


Fun Learning Resouces for Kids

Bucket List Publications

Indulge- Travel, Adventure, & New Experiences

%d bloggers like this: